Saturday, January 24, 2009

God Remains Faithful

This is not the way we wanted this situation to turn out but we know that God's ways are higher and better than ours. Early on when they told us that Jerry would probably be able to walk and care for himself but could never drive, work, make decisions, or be left alone for fear he would burn the house down - we tucked those things way back in our minds. All along we knew that we could live with this but always wanting something better. Then progressively they told us they would need to put a central line in, then brain surgery, then a feeding tube and a tracheostomy - none of which I wanted him to have, but when it came time for each of these decisions we were at such peace for these things to happen knowing it was for Jerry's best. Then day after day, we saw essentially no improvement except for a brief time which we now think it was a time for him to tell us good bye.

Then came the ultimate decision to place him in hospice which at the time we knew it was best. At this point he could not swallow, make any movement nor make any response.

We know due to all the prayers going up for him and all the prayers going up from his family if it was in God's will he would have been healed. And today we still are asking and hoping God will heal him. But today we know that he is going to be healed ultimately, knowing Jerry would not wish to be left in a coma but to be in heaven with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We love him so much and do not want to let him go but I was thinking " when would I be ready for him to go?" I think God knows this time better than I do and will take him to Himself when He is ready

I want to thank everyone who read this blog and replied.

This time has been a very sad time for us but at the same time it has been such a special time for our family. We know God more intimately than we ever have before. He has been very real to us. He has promised "to never leave us or forsake us " and we know this is true. "He is faithful even when we are faithless." This is true. Jerry's favorite verse is "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not in your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

I will close with Jerry's favorite song

Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
All the days, all the days of my life
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever
And I shall feast at the table spread for me
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days, all the days of my life.

13 comments:

Betty Renner said...

Our hearts go out to you, we love you and we are still praying for Jerry . May God's will be done. Betty & RJ

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you. God loves each of you. Jerry is safely in Gods hands.

Lois Strickland

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you.


Rory and Carol Brito
Odessa, Tx

Barbara Grimsley said...

My prayers continue that God's will be done. I love each of you and know your love for the Lord! Your post have encouraged me and your continued strength through His love is a witness to others. May you continue to have that 'peace that passes understanding' that Wendy spoke of, truly it is one of the many blessings God provides! My love to you!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know any of you personally (besides Brent, of course), but I feel that I have come to know you through these posts. I see the endearing family love you all have for each other. I see the everlasting and strong faith in God that you carry with you. I see your fearless willingness to testify for the Lord. I feel God's love through you, and I feel his power in your testimonies.

I am still praying for strength and comfort for each of you as you walk this journey. I am still praying for Jerry, and I am still praying for wisdom in the experts that are caring for him.

You are fortunate to have each other and you are fortunate to find comfort in the awesome family you have. Thanks for being such a light to the rest of us on how to manage a trial while staying faithful to God. Thanks for your strength and your faith -- it's very refreshing.

Continue to trust and pray as we will do the same. You have people all over the nation (just in my circle) praying for him. God's network is powerful!

Hugs to you all,
Trish Zenczak

Anonymous said...

Lucy Beth and family
I want you all to know what a faithful example you have been to all of us through this difficult time. Your love and faith in God is a brilliant witness to me and everyone that has watched you through this. I pray that my own faith will increase from what I have seen.

You and your family have been in my prayers and the prayers of the Baptist Church in Vega. God does sustain us through everything that comes our way. My God be with you though the days to come.

Your Brother in Christ!
Lee Judd

Susan said...

You are continuing to be in our prayers. God has already been glorified through your faithful testimonies. Thank you for being such a blessing to so many. May God continue to hold you in his arms as you walk through this.

Susan & Arden Lowery

Anonymous said...

Lucy Beth and family,
May God continue to comfort you and give you strength--what a blessing you have been to all of us as we read of your Godly wisdom and patience through these trials. May God continue to hold you and comfort you during these unsettled times. We love you and will continue to pray for Jerry and your family. Jayson and Jyl Grimsley

Anonymous said...

My prayers go out to you and your family. Your posts show your strong faith. I am praying for Jerry and for peace in your hearts. May God wrap his arms around all of you in this time.
Much love,
Karen Crofford Floyd
Canadian, TX

Anonymous said...

My prayers and thoughts our with you and your family each day. Jerry is one of the finest men that my family has had the privilage to know from this area. For all my family (including grandparents) Thank you Jerry.

Tim Jones
Montgomery, Texas

Anonymous said...

My prayers continue to be with all of you. I love you all.

Cathey Hamman

Anonymous said...

Lucy Beth
Mother, Scott and I have faithfully followed your journey thru your blog. I regret that we couldn't be there in person, but you all have been in our thoughts every minute. Our love and prayers are with you and your family.
Rosana Evans

Unknown said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Jerry has always been one of the most kind and gracious men that we have known.

Brian and Kerry Blackburn